Monday, November 10, 2008

Monday Sports Update

I knew this week was too good to be true and something had to not turn out the way I wanted. Although, the bright side is the two big wins I experienced over the past 10 days really softened the blow of the sports shittiness that occurred this weekend. I was 0 for 2.

Penn State lost a close one at Iowa on Saturday. I did not watch most of the game because I was with friends in Philadelphia. I actually didn't know they lost until I received a text message from my little sister at Penn State: Oh no Penn State. My friend pulled out his cell phone with internet access and indeed confirmed that we had only lost by a point, 24-23. It's a total bummer because we all thought we had a chance at the National Championship, but with this loss, that's totally not possible. It's kind of like my senior year all over again, but for my brother. We were undefeated that year and lost one game in the last second to Michigan, in Ann Arbor. It was devastating. Granted, I honestly think that we were a better team back then (and Michigan a more formidable opponent), but I'm sure my brother and the rest of Happy Valley is just as crushed. Here's to a Rose Bowl bid, at least.

And then last night I actually watched the Eagles because they were the Sunday night game. It was a make-or-break game for the Eagles, who were playing the defending champion and NFC leading Giants. I guess we are broke because they lost 36-31. It was a pretty close game, I would say, with early scoring by the Birds. But we were undone, yet again, by terrible coaching and play-calling. Two lost challenges in the fourth quarter pretty much sealed the deal. And yeap, that's about it. Nothing really inspiring coming out of the Link recently.

Penn State hosts Indiana at noon on Saturday. The Eagles are at Cincinnati at 1 on Sunday.

No comments: