Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Mystery Diagnosis

As I've mentioned (a few times), I really enjoy reading the Sunday NYT and, especially, the Sunday NYT Magazine. It is evidentiary support #46 of how I'm super white.

So this week I actually read the Diagnosis section. I'm not really into science much. Well, I shouldn't say that. I've read a few sciencey books and I listen to Boyfriend when he tells me about certain diseases he's read about or evolutionary science and such. But this week, I decided to give it a whirl and what I found was an incredibly interesting story. It was kind of like reading an episode of House, without the ridiculous claim that this episode is the Craziest. Case. Ever. And without Hugh Laurie's unrealistic apathy for his patients beyond their mystery medical conditions.

Anyway. This week's story is amazing. It's about this young woman who started having awful migraines that turned into psychotic hallucinations and paranoid outbursts and, eventually, caused her to fall into a coma. They discovered a teratoma tumor--the crazy scary kind that grows teeth and hair--and...well, I'll let you read it and find out what happens.

No comments: