Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Internet? It's Me, Caitlar

Okay so I've been noticeably absent since Friday. Boyfriend and I went to a family wedding (my godfather's daughter) in Delaware and we had a great time all around. Such a great time, in fact, that I spent all of Sunday in bed/couch once we got home. On Monday when I still felt like crap, I realized that it was probably beyond a hang-over and I was seamlessly transitioning into my change of season cold. So I've been trying to de-stress myself and lay off the internet (about which I can get somewhat obsessive). Sometimes we all need a little internet vacation. So I signed out of gchat, closed all my tabs, and let the blog sit for a few days. It's hard to jump right back into it though. Where do I start? Colin Powell's endorsement of Obama? Michelle Bachman and her interview with Chris Matthews right out of an Arthur Miller play? The fact that the Phillies are playing the Rays and not the Red Sox? Sarah Palin's $150,000 shopping spree with RNC donations?

And then I read the NYT today and I just knew what I had to do. You might want to sit down for this: Maureen Dowd wrote a really good piece today. No, seriously. And that's the thing--she wrote seriously for once and stopped trying to be, as one friend put it, "cutesy like Tina Fey doing Palin." She talks about talking to Colin Powell and his reasons for backing Obama, focusing on the growing sentiment that Muslim-Americans are not Americans. It's the same theme that the Daily Show picked up on last week, but without the sarcasm and with real people. It's definitely worth a read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's about time someone came out and denounced the anti-Muslim sentiment that is getting fanned in this election. Good for Colin Powell. Just like it's about time Maureen Dowd actually wrote a column that didn't make me cringe. :-)

-Steph