Thursday, October 23, 2008

We're Not Getting Swept!

[philly.com]

Okay, this is not the positive thinking I should be practicing. But seriously, Phillies win Game Numero Uno of the World Series by a score of 3-2--in Tampa no less--meaning, mostly, that we are not getting swept. So far, that's good enough for me. But dear god: if the rest of this series is going to be like this game, I will need to consult a cardiologist daily. Because, I lied, just not getting swept is not going to be enough. Now that we've won one, I want to win them all. I'm already thinking about how I will be in Philly on Sunday if we maybe--just maybe--clinch. It's unbelievable.

It certainly wasn't the prettiest game. Coley was amazing, just great. And my boyfriend, Chase Utley, hit a two-run-homer in the first that really turned out to be the key to the Phillies win. The rest of the team had a terrible time hitting. Howard looked just awful. No one could produce any situational hitting. We stranded 11 runners in scoring position, which is unacceptable. If we want to win any more games in this series, we are going to have to do way more. Coley can't pitch every game. And Lidge may be perfect to this point, but that's bound to end sometime, although I hope that some time is later rather than sooner.

So tonight I will go to bed happy and tomorrow I will obsessively read about how we won and watch highlights and interviews and feel warm and fuzzy. Until tomorrow night when the nerves start all over again.

Charlie Manuel at his post-game conference: "Cole's pretty good, man. I'm glad he's pitching for us."

Me too, Charlie. Me too.

Oh ps: I really hope they get rid of the cowbells for Game 2. That was so fucking annoying, even more so than those damn thundersticks in Milwaukee.

No comments: