Thursday, October 16, 2008

In Case You Didn't Hear

The Phillies are going to the World Series!!!!

[philly.com]

The Phillies beat the Dodgers 5-1 last night in LA to win the National League Pennant and oh how good does it feel. Jimmy Rollins led off with a solo home run in his first at bat and then the Phils kept their cool and rolled over LA. The score was only 5-1, but it really seemed like a trouncing to me. At one point in the fifth inning, after Rafael Furcal's second error, and another Philly single turned into an RBI, I texted a friend "this is almost little league." Cole Hamels pitched a great game and won him the NLCS MVP award. I don't mean to take away from Cole's amazing performances over the series, but I really think that Shane Victorino should have taken home the award. Not only did he have several clutch hits (including that game-changing 2-run homer in game 4), but his fielding was incredible last night. Two hard and long hits by the Dodgers last night could have made a big difference for LA, but Shane covered an ridiculous amount of ground with his speed to run into the center field wall and make two great catches. The team as a whole has really played great this series, with everyone contributing what they could. We're probably going to play the Rays in the World Series which will be really hard and I kind of doubt that we'll win. So I'm just enjoying this, my first Philadelphia World Series appearance since the fourth grade. And I'm thinking positively. Go Phillies!

No comments: