Monday, October 13, 2008

Monday Sports Update

Hello again! It's been a few days since I posted anything. Honestly, I think I kind of binged on blogging over the last few weeks and I came down kind of hard last week. Also, I think a lot of the news last week was seriously depressing and I was having difficulty finding humor in a lot of things. But I was accosted several times over the weekend for not aiding people's procrastination habits at work and otherwise, and I don't have to work today (hooray for a man who extinguished an entire continent of people!), so let's get this party re-started, shall we?

This weekend in Philly sports teams (that I care about) had its ups and downs and has left me, after the final game, feeling engh.

Let's start with Penn State. This is the team that gives me the least amount of angina because a) I don't go there anymore and I only care so much about college football, and b) they are doing really really well. The high rankings and great record probably have just as much to do with other teams all over the BCS--and especially in the Big Ten--just kind of sucking this year as it does with the fact that the Lions have a very good team. We trounced Wisconsin on Saturday night at Wisconsin, beating them 48-7. It was a pretty boring game, even though I watched it with my favorite Hetzel (you probably don't know what that means, but don't worry about it) at Buffalo D's, this sports bar with a terrible deejay and a wonderful hookah lounge in which this photo stared at me all night and scared the beejebus out of me. I know it's an important and famous photograph, but she sure can stare. But I digress. The Lions now hold an impressive 7-0 record and having moved up to #3 in the BCS rankings. Next week is Homecoming and the Michigan game, so I'm expecting to keep the good times to keep on rolling, at least for another week, even though I will be at a wedding and not in Happy Valley. Also, it's 10:41 and Michigan still sucks.

Okay so I wasn't expecting much from the Eagles this weekend and frankly, I really didn't care. That team is a mess and is more frustration than it's worth. Plus, with the Phillies still playing, I'm having trouble really concentrating on more than one potential collapse. We didn't get network coverage of the Eagles game anyway here in DC. Instead, we got to watch the Cardinals stick it to the Cowboys, which was glorious enough. Although Boyfriend was following the Eagles on the ticker and on the internet, I really just assumed they had lost until late last night when I asked if they lost. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that they actually won. Who knew. So yeah, the Eagles beat San Francisco 40-26. You can read about it here because I'm pretty apathetic about it.

Okay so herein lies my sports obsession at the moment: the Phightin Phillies. Thursday and Friday were amazing; we were up 2 games to 0 against the Dodgers in the NLCS, something I really didn't see coming. I really, truly assumed that we would get swept and say, welp that was nice, we did better than last year and there's always next year. And part of me still feels that way, that defensive cautiousness.

My friend's husband is a Red Sox fan. She called me on Saturday morning to see if I wanted to go to brunch and I heard her husband in the background shouting at me that when the Phillies and the Red Sox are in the World Series, we won't be friends for a week. And I was like, ha, yeah if the Phillies make the World Series. And she said, I thought they won last night? Aren't they up on the Dodgers 2-0? And I said yeah, but I never count my chickens when it comes to Phils. I really wish that I could get excited; I mean, we're certainly closer to making the World Series than we've been since I was 9 years old. But I'm not even allowing myself to go there; it's this terrible emotion that all sports fans go through--torn between hoping and trying to be realistic. Anyway, I think I was pretty justified in my skepticism yesterday as the Dodgers came out hard in LA and Jamie Moyer had just a terrible start for the Phils. Like John McCain, I'm convinced that the main stream sports media is in the tank for the Dodgers, what with the Manny story and the Joe Torre story being so compelling or whatever, so I was already pissed. And then Kuroda threw that pitch at Shane Victorino's head in retaliation for Brett Myers throwing a pitch behind Manny on Friday night. Everyone got pissed, the benches cleared, and although only words were exchanged, the tense, negative energy was really palpable. I really tried to stay away from the game, making dinner for a bunch of friends and only checking in on the game every so often. The Phillies lost 7-2 and the series tightens up a bit now. I'm not really confident about playing in LA, even though we are still leading the series. But tonight is another game and maybe, just maybe, they will give me something about which to think optimistically.

No comments: