Thursday, September 25, 2008

I Went to a Hip Hop Show

So I went to a show last night at the 9:30 Club. Not just any show, a hip hop show. Yes, I do believe that nabs me two more points on Stuff White People Like (see #71 and #107). I was surprised to see that not only was I not the only white person there, but I wasn't even the whitest white person there (and neither were my white companions). This may have something to do with the fact that it was a producer battle. It's a known fact that white people can't rap and often look stupid doing so, but it's acceptable for them to at least try to come up with some good beats for other to rap over (see: Mark Ronson). So these producers went head to head with their beats, the first producer playing his beat and then his opponent playing his, and then they go back and forth again. Then the crowd voted and the winner moved on to the next round.

It was fun! The beats were fairly simple enough that I could bob my head in rhythm. There weren't any words, so I couldn't feel stupid not knowing the lyrics or feel uncomfortable not understanding references. It was probably the best white-girl's introduction to live hip hop. And then Wale came on to rhyme a little bit. He was actually who I came to see, but wound up missing. I had to go home early because I have a knee injury and the couple of hours of standing was starting to hurt me. But I heard he was good, albeit brief. And everyone went home happy. The End.


No comments: