Monday, September 22, 2008

The Shock Doctrine

I credit a certain professor I had as a sophomore in college, Susan Searls-Giroux, for opening my eyes to progressive ideas. In her class, we read a book that also contributed a lot to my current thinking: No Logo by Naomi Klein. Klein is an excellent writer; she's clear and concise, but very intelligent without seeming arrogant. I've always admired her.

Last year she published another book, The Shock Doctrine, about how certain groups of people, especially the Bush administration, have employed the strategy of turning a blind eye toward (or creating) disasters so that in the public's state of panic and fear, they can push through legislation and policy that profits them and their friends. It's a very interesting theory that is very depressing to think about (I'm not sure I can make myself believe that people could be that evil), but is worth a look into.

The other day, Klein was on Bill Maher's show with Andrew Sullivan and Will.i.am discussing her theory as it applies to the current financial crisis. It's worth a look:

No comments: