Monday, September 22, 2008

A More Superficial Post About the Emmys

So I missed the red carpet last night, partially because the Eagles and Phillies were on until after 7 o'clock (yes, it was a veritable sports cluster at our house), and partially because I just forgot. But after glancing through photos on E! and NYT, it doesn't really matter if I watched the red carpet arrivals or not because, all-in-all, my thought was: Ladies, I am not impressed. Seriously, no one really struck me as being extraordinarily fabulous. Of course there are some I liked and there were definitley some I did not like at all (here's looking at you, Eva Longoria Parker). Here are my short lists for Best and Worst. (Look at E! and NYT for photos right now because I'm having trouble linking them).

Worst

Mary-Louise Parker. Yeah, that would be a nice dress if you were attending the Junior Prom at St. Bernadette's in Long Island. You have a great body, but this dress looks cheap.

Eva Longoria Parker. Another three-named-Parker, another fashion criminal. You don't even have to click on the picture to know how bad it was, because I can describe it to you in a few brief words: Short, bow, fringe, sparkle, bronzer, goth-eyes, DYI hair.

Heidi Klum. It's almost hard to say that Heidi looks bad because she never actually looks bad--she's Heidi Klum. But whoever told her to wear this dress and cape (with butterfly earrings to boot) should be auffed. Didn't you eliminate Stella a few weeks ago on PR for making a similar cape? Simple looks better on your, Heidi, stick with it.

Honorable mention: Christina Applegate. I feel for you, girl, with the whole breast-cancer thing, but I'm going to have to disagree with E! and say that I do not like this look at all. Too much of everything all around.

Best

Marcia Cross. I love everything about this look. She just looks so...pretty. She's a little reminiscent of Carrie in the last episode of Sex and the City, in that beautiful tu-tu that is fairy-tale like, but still sophisticated enough to be worn by a grown-up. If Marcia had blonde hair, the color may have washed her out. But as we all know, Marcia is gorgeous ginger and just looks stunning.

Sandra Oh. Finally finally finally Sandra Oh looks good. And I always root for her because she has the personality to be a little daring with her red carpet looks, but she often goes a little too far towards Tilda Swinton on the scale. But this look is beautiful and I love the different textures of the top lace versuse the bottom lace.

Marishka Hargitay. Marishka always looks great because she has a healthy glow, she goes for simple dresses that just pop with color. She just always looks radiant, confident, and comfortable, and honestly, not many ladies can pull off yellow.

Honorable mention: Brooke Shields. I like it, but I don't love it. I think I would like it better if it weren't such an obnoxious color.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with the "finally Sandra Oh looks good" comment