Monday, September 22, 2008

Monday Sports Update


I am very pleased to announce that I went 3 for 3 this weekend in sports (I guess, really, 4 for 4 if you want to count both the Phillies wins). Here's a brief recap of the weekend.





Penn State started off Saturday afternoon right with a win over Temple, 45-3. This is not an extraordinary feat, as Temple should, in no way, still be in Division I. Living in VA and this not slated to be an exciting game, I could not watch the game in the comfort of my apartment. I checked the score in the first quarter and saw that we had not yet scored, with only 2 minutes to go. I texted my brother, a senior at PSU who was at the game, and asked why we hadn't yet scored. His response was: They are just trying to keep the fans here past halftime. Fair enough.

Also, although the Nittany Lions are now 4-0, we are not winning any points in the strength of schedule department. We have, however, moved up to #12 in the rankings, two spots ahead of Ohio State (suckahs). Congratulations are also in order for Joe Paterno, who, with this win on Saturday, has now become the winningest coach in college football history. Congrats, JoePa.

The Eagles game is one that I would have loved to be at Penn State for. The Birds beat the Steelers, 15-6 yesterday in a messy win, but a win nonetheless. When I was at PSU, many of the students were obviously from Pennslyvania and the demographics naturally split themselves between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh when it came to the NFL. My junior year was the last time we played the Steelers and we lost. It was a painfully embarrassing experience, if I recall.

The win yesterday does not come without consequence, however, as Brian Westbrook endured an ankle sprain and is scheduled for an MRI this morning. Donovan McNabb also winced with pain at an aggrevated shoulder injury. Please please please let the tests be negative. Philly can't deal with another injury-marred season. Neither can McNabb's career.


The Phillies won twice this weekend, beating the Marlins 3-2 on Saturday and 5-2 on Sunday. The Mets lost both of their games this weekend, not only putting the Phils back on top of the NL East, but with a little extra padding at 1.5 games. The Phils get the Braves again this week, but at Citizens Bank Park this time, and then finish the season with the Nationals. Only six more games to go!

No comments: