Wednesday, September 17, 2008

It's the Economy, Stupid

If you (like me) are interested in what's going on in the country right now with regard to the financial crisis and, most recently, Lehman Brothers and AIG, but you (like me) don't know anything about economics, an article in the New York Times this morning is a good starting point. David Leonhardt recalls the federal bailout of Chrysler in 1979 and offers some insight into what may and may not work in terms of resolving the current situation.

Also, Thomas Friedman has a piece in the NYT as well that talks a little more about the situation and what the government should do going forward. I really like Friedman as a writer. I think his columns are always insightful and not as abrasive as some of the other NYT Op-Ed writers. This particular piece is no exception.

In the meantime, I'm looking for some resources to help explain a little bit more about what's going on in layman's terms. Economics for dummies, but not. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

No comments: