Friday, September 19, 2008

Project Runway Dilemma


I'm torn. So watching Project Runway, I'm having trouble hating Kenley. She is opinionated and confident to the point of arrogance. But that's not why I feel like I shouldn't like her; I think those are qualities that can make a very good artist. She's just mean.

Last season, Christian could dole out his fair share of criticisms and snippy comments, but he always made sure that his fellow contestants knew he was kidding. And he never, ever talked back to the judges--he was actually very gracious and humble on the runway. Kenley not only does not shut up when she's on the runway, but she actually laughs at other contestants when they are being criticized. And, as I think we'll see next week, she commits the most heinous of PR crimes: rejecting Tim Gunn. Anyone who watches the show knows that Tim knows best and those that cross him get auffed and look dumb to boot.

So why do I find myself still rooting for her? Every time I watch the show, it's her designs I most look forward to. And when she completes the look and sends it down the runway, I always think they're great. I love her style--I think it's adorable--and I want to wear everything she puts out. I even wanted to go right out and buy a headband with a big read bow on it after she wore one at the beginning of the season. I've also seen her collection at Bryant Park (this is not a spoiler, everyone who is left showed at Fashion Week), and I love it all.

Does this mean that, to me, fashion can transcend all ills? Or that I'm superficial enough to allow fashion to cloud my judgement of someone's character? Um, on second thought, don't actually answer that.

Gawker has a fabulous description of Kenley as That Girl in college that I think is spot-on, as well as pretty comprehensive recap of this week's episode as a whole.

No comments: