Tuesday, September 30, 2008

She's an Easy Target

Every day I sit and the computer and vow to myself that I am not going to write about Sarah Palin. It's obvious I don't agree with her, so I am probably beating a dead horse. Plus, I feel like I'm feeding into the McCain campaign's strategy of Sarah The Media Darling.

But then every day she goes and does something that just makes me smack my head in disbelief and run to the blog to let you know that yes, this is what we're dealing with here. This isn't some blog blogging about celebrity blogs and the dumb shit they say. This is the potential vice president of the United States. Do you want to know something I hadn't thought about? My uncle called me on Friday night to tell me about something unrelated, but we inevitably got into the debate and the election. He said what scared him was that we are faced with the possibility of 16 years of this woman. 16 years. It's unusual that this election we do not have the Vice President running for president, increasing the likelihood that if McCain wins, the GOP would go with the VP for the 2016 nominee. Bristol Palin's baby would be having a baby by then. (Okay, cheap shot, but I wanted to illustrate my point clearly.)

Anyway, here's the latest doozie from the Most Qualified Woman John McCain Could Find. In a part of her interview with Katie Couric that has yet to air, Palin cannot name another Supreme Court case other than Roe vs. Wade.

"After noting Roe vs. Wade, Palin was apparently unable to discuss any major court cases.

There was no verbal fumbling with this particular question as there was with some others, the aide said, but rather silence."

Okay, now I know she didn't go to law school, and I didn't either. But did she ever take a history class? Like, I know remembering the names of court cases is sometimes not easy, especially under pressure. But Plessy vs. Ferguson? Brown vs. Board of Education? Bush vs. Gore? I mean, jesus, the only reason she is in her current situation is because of Bush vs. Gore.

Look, I'm not trying to make fun of her. Sometimes our minds go blank when we're under pressure. But if she is elected to Second in Command, she's going to have a lot more pressure than Katie Couric.

No comments: