Friday, October 3, 2008

Best Headline of the Day: Hawaiian Punch

So last night I was working, like every night, until 6pm, which is when the Phillies were set to start Game 2 of the NLDS against the Brewers. Traffic in Georgetown is always fabulous, so I was in the car for a quite a bit, slamming my steering wheel and hoping that everyone at GU was infected with norovirus so they couldn't leave the house and impede my way home. While crawling down 34th street at about 6:30, I called Boyfriend at home to see how the game was going. "1-0 Brewers. Brett Myers sucks, Phillies can't hit for shit." Great, I thought, here goes Playoff Bust 2.0. But then I remember to think positive, and continued my journey home.

I got off the elevator and immediately heard a "Go go go!!!! Ahhhhhh! Whoooo! Yessss!" erupting. I ran to the door and sure enough, I had just missed Shane Victorino hit a grand slam in the 2nd to put the Phillies up 5-1. Long story short, the Phillies pulled out a win at Citizens Bank to lead Milwaukee in the series, 2-0. The craziest part was that Brett Myers's pitching was just okay, but he really took it to CC Sabathia as a batter, forcing him into 19 pitches in just 2 at-bats. His first at-bat ended in a walk that helped load the bases and primed Victorino for his grand slam. It was a really a team effort in a game where our hitting, for the most part, remained relatively cool.

Needless to say, it's a real advantage to be up 2-0 in a 5-game series, especially now that they are heading to Milwaukee. Veteran Jaime Moyer pitches tomorrow night in Game 3. Here's hoping for a sweep! Bring on Mannywood (because wtf Cubs? seriously)!

In other weekend sports, Penn State (6) plays Purdue at noon tomorrow on ESPN. The Eagles take on the Redskins in a big game at home at 1pm on Sunday.

No comments: