Friday, October 3, 2008

Anne Hath-a-way With Me

Can I just say, I'm super excited to see "Rachel Getting Married." It's been getting good buzz and Kenneth Turan's review of it in the LA Times is excellent. This will come up time and time again and I'm not ashamed to say it, but I am pretty much that White Person that Christian Lander is talking about in Stuff White People Like. And I feel my excitement about "Rachel Getting Married" has something to do with #3 and #10; I love indie films. (RGM is not a Wes Anderson film, but I think #10 gets across the point that that's the kind of movie I like.) I blindly love indie films too. They're funny in weird ways and usually have great music and pretty colors to look at. When I go to the video store with Boyfriend, I am drawn directly to the dvd cases with "Sundance" stickers on them. This often gets me in trouble because I don't really pay attention to the subject of the movie, just that it's indie. Like one time I rented "Elephant" by Gus Van Zant because it looked good and indie and had high school kids on the cover and I thought, oh awesome, this will be like "Juno" or something. Except that it was, basically, a reenactment of the Columbine shootings in terrible detail. I still go for the Sundance rentals, I just make sure to read the back of them now too.

But I digress. What I really wanted to talk about is Anne Hathaway. Way back when, I saw the "Princess Diaries" and I thought she was awkward, both in her mannerisms and her look. I didn't really like her that much in "Brokeback Mountain" either; I think I had seen "Princess Diaries" too many times. But then the more I saw her in stuff--other movies, on the red carpet, doing interviews, what have you--I started to like her more. And, especially in "The Devil Wears Prada," she's like Richard Gere in that the older she gets, the prettier she gets. She was one of my favorites on the red carpet of the Oscars last year and her thing with that Italian con artisty guy gave her some major street cred to me. She's just simply adorable now, but with a smart edge. Ultimately, I agree with Turan that this could be a career-changing role for her, a more disturbed and brooding character that I'm really interested in seeing her take on. And I'm rooting for her to do a good job with.

I'll let you know how it is when I see it.

No comments: